Explore the Communities of Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
The Chisago Lakes area in Minnesota is a remarkable destination where five distinct towns have come together to form one larger community. The towns include Chisago City, Lindstrom, Center City, Shafer and Taylors Falls, each nestled along a beautiful stretch of the highway between the St. Croix River in the east and Green Lake in the west. These 5 towns each have their own unique sense of character, and getting to know these communities during your time at our Inn is one of the best parts about staying here. Book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast this summer, and come explore this regions deep history and incredible natural beauty with us.
Get to Know the Communities of Chisago Lakes
Though each community offers something different, they all share some key traits. These communities treasure their natural beauty, actively engage in the opportunities for outdoor recreation that abound in this area, and take their small town character to heart. Here, it’s all about enjoying a high quality of life. In fact, the communities of Chisago Lakes were recently listed as a finalist in America’s Best Communities contest. Moving from west to east, the communities of the Chisago Lakes area include:
Chisago City, located at the western end of these five communities near Green Lake, is known as the “Gateway to the Lakes.” The town boasts 9 parks and outdoor spaces to enjoy, one of which is the setting of the 1950’s book The Emigrants, a fictional story series about Swedish characters Karl Oscar and Kristina Nilsson by author Vilhem Moberg. Each year, the town celebrates their Swedish history with Ki Chi Saga Days in August. Beyond the lakes and parks, Chisago City offers visitors a charming small town atmosphere filled with one-of-a-kind restaurants and shops.
Lindstrom, onsidered an island among the lakes, is surrounded by water. Things to enjoy in Lindstrom include the town’s rich Swedish history and inspired town monuments, Swedish inspired food, and its iconic coffee pot water tower. Their downtown is filled antique shops, quality local arts, fun boutique shops, and Scandinavian finds. Given they are surrounded by water, nature of course takes center stage in Lindstrom. One of their biggest parks, Allemansrätt Park, offers 125 acres of wilderness trails. Allemansrätt translated from Swedish, means “Every Man’s Right.”
Our beautiful town of Center City marks the Chisago Lakes Area’s transition from lake to land, as we head further east towards the St. Croix River. In Center City, you’ll enjoy incredible scenery looking over the lakes to the west, a variety of historic homes, and an incredible downtown filled with delightful shops and restaurants. Get a glimpse of Center City’s early days on Summit Avenue, where beautiful Victorian homes line the streets, or visit the quintessential Lutheran church in town, which just so happens to be the church where Jack Lemon marries Ann Margaret at the end of the movie Grumpy Old Men. Head to Eichten’s Market and Bistro, where you can taste homemade Gouda cheese; a tradition dating back to the town’s earliest Swedish immigrants.
The farming town of Shafer, nestled in the rolling hills of the St. Croix River Valley, offers visitors picturesque green meadows, pastures, and barns. A key segment of the Swedish Immigrant Trail runs through Shafer, allowing you to follow in the footsteps of the area’s earliest settlers. In the fall, visit the orchards and enjoy the fruits of these farmer’s labors.
Finally, on the banks of the St. Croix River itself, you’ll find the charming, historic town of Taylors Falls. The area is best known for its incredibly geology and scenic natural beauty. This is where you’ll find the Dalles of the St. Croix River; incredible rock formations formed by receding glaciers over 10,000 years ago. It’s common to see rock climbers scaling the cliffs along the river, and there are always plenty of hikers exploring the glacial potholes at Minnesota Interstate State Park. Designated as a National Wild and Scenic River in 1968, the St. Croix River has always played a central role in the town of Taylors Falls. Though the outdoors are stunning, don’t miss your chance to soak in the historic charm of this incredible downtown.
It’s easy to see why the Chisago Lakes area of Minnesota is so special. Each of these towns is incredible in their own right, but joined together into one larger community they are simply spectacular. Come explore the communities of the St. Croix River Valley, and see for yourself how a truly magical this place is. To get started, all you need to do is book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast today.
- Things to do this Winter Near our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast
- 5 Reasons our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast is the Perfect Getaway
- 7 Wineries to Visit Near the Chisago Lakes in Minnesota
- Biking the Swedish Immigrant Trail Near our Inn
- Take a Scenic Boat Tour During Your Stay at Summit Inn
- The Best Hiking Near Our Center City Bed and Breakfast
- Plan Ahead for your Getaways in 2019!
- Plan a Valentine’s Day Getaway to the Summit Inn!
- Buy a Gift Certificate For the Summit Inn
- Our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast is the Perfect Fall Getaway
- Wineries and Wine Tasting Events Near our Bed and Breakfast
- Finding the Best Fall Foliage Near Center City
- Explore the Communities of Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
- Scenic Boat Tours in Taylors Falls, Minnesota
- Travel the Chisago Lakes Water Trail
- State Parks Near Summit Inn Bed and Breakfast
- An Unforgettable Mothers Day Getaway in Minnesota
- Spring Getaway to the St. Croix River Valley in Minnesota
- Wine Tasting in Center City, Minnesota
- Fall Foliage in the St. Croix River Valley in Minnesota
- Get on the Water in the Chisago Lakes Area in Minnesota
- This Weekend in Center City (7/31/17)
- Culture in the Valley
- July 12th-16th ~ 2017 Karl Oskar Days
- Midsummer 2017
- 2017 Weekly Summer Events
- June 9-11 Wannigan Days
- Memorial Day 2017
- St. Croix Valley Pottery Tour for Mother’s Day!
- May 6th, 2017 Bird Walk